Thursday, October 18, 2012

Student Interviews


I recently conducted an interview with two students during my clinical observation. I interviewed the students separately and away from other classmates. I did not want anything to influence their answers. I told the students that the interview was just between us and it wasn't for a grade. One student was high performing and the other would be classified as a struggling student.

The first student, student A, is a high performing student. She is always on task and it obvious that she takes her school work seriously. I would say that she fears doing poorly on assignments. A few weeks ago, the students were all working on a writing assignment. Student A started crying because she could not remember how to correctly use a comma.

The second student, student B, is a struggling student. He tries hard to stay on task, but get distracted easily. It helps if an adult is standing next to him to keep him focused. He often struggles with independent assignments, especially with anything that involves writing or grammar. He enjoys math and does well with it, if he can stay on task. This student also does well when rewards are offered. He is a sweet kid, but I’ve heard he has a rough home life and wants attention.

Student A Interview: High Performing

Question: Do you enjoy school?
Student A:
Yeah.

Question: What kind of student are you?
Student A:
I’m a kind student…and I get good grades.

Question: What do you do for fun outside of school?
Student A:
Play with my friends.

Question: How would your classmates describe you?
Student A:
funny and smart.

Question: Who are you friends with? What do you and your friends do together?
Student A:
Mallory, Amanda, and Samantha. I see Samantha a lot even when we’re not in school. We usually play outside.

Question: What is a good memory you have about school?
Student A:
The good memory from school is in second grade when we cut out a pumpkin and got all of the seeds out of it.

Question: What is a bad memory you have about school?
Student A:
I got a B on my spelling test in first grade. My parents weren’t upset, but I was!

Question: Describe a “good” teacher or tell me about your favorite student in the past.
Student A:
I think you, because you are nice and pretty.

Question: What is one thing you wish your teacher knew about you?
Student A:
That I stink at telling time.
(*There was a long pause before she answered this question. The students have been working with telling time in their math class)

Student B Interview: Struggling

Question: Do you enjoy school?
Student B:
Yes.

Question: What kind of student are you?
Student B:
A third grader?
(He seemed kind of puzzled with this question. After explaining it to him, he answered: )
Student B: I’m good half the time

Question: What do you do for fun outside of school?
Student B:
Kickball! I love kickball. But every time I play, I get some fouls and outs, but it’s okay fouls are tricky.

Question: How would your classmates describe you?
Student B:
Good. I think they like me?

Question: Who are you friends with? What do you and your friends do together?
Student B:
Billy, Jennifer, DEFINITELY my teacher, Justin, David and some, well actually 2, fourth grader. I play kickball with the fourth graders. I like being on their team but they split up sometimes. 

Question: What is a good memory you have about school?
Student B:
Math, speech, art, gym, library, and my birthday. I’m gonna ask my mom if she can put cupcakes in my book bag for my birthday.

Question: What is a bad memory you have about school?
Student B:
Whistle to come in from recess and the bell. It hurts my ears and annoys me. Oh and can I tell you something? I love the pledge of allegiance. I LOVE IT!

Question: Describe a “good” teacher or tell me about your favorite student in the past.
Student B:
Miss Lochery at my old school was very giving.

Question: What is one thing you wish your teacher knew about you?
Student B:
I wish he knew I loved swimming and would take me…actually, take the whole class. I love cannon balls. Do you know what a cannon ball is?
(before I had time to respond, he told me anyways: )
Student B: A cannon ball is when you run real real fast, put your knees up to your face and jump in the water. But you have to yell, “Cannon ball” when you’re doing it.


3 comments:

  1. I think interviewing is important because you really learn how unique each children is.

    Excellent interviews? How do they inform your teaching practices?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The high performing student seems to be anxious about her schooling. She wants to do well and fears getting bad grades or doing poorly on any assignment. As you have told me, humans learn best by making mistakes and trying out new things. In order to learn, we must not be afraid to fail. For this student, I would create assignments that encourage her to take risks and test her knowledge. I let her know that it's okay to not be perfect. For this student, I also think it's important for her to have assessments that are not worth as many points. This way, maybe she would be more willing to step outside of her comfort zone.

    For the struggling student, I think it is obvious that he wants to please the teachers he interacts with. This was apparent during several of the questions he was asked in his interview. When asked who his friends were he responded with, "definitely my teacher!" I had never even considered this to be a response from a student. I guess I never realized how important it was for them to please their teachers. When observing this student, I have noticed that he works best when there is a reward on the line. He doesn't care so much about grades, but if he knows he is going to get "Yellow-Jacket Bucks" if he does well, this seems to grab his attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent description of classroom strategies that might improve the academic performance and schooling experiences of both these students!

    ReplyDelete